Monday, February 6, 2012

Interview With Zhu Yuanzhang

Interview With Zhu Yuanzhang
        By: Nathaniel Etienne

Q: Why do you want to overthrow the Mongols?

A: I believe I can make a difference for China, because it shames me that we are under the rule of such foreign barbarians. With my Red Turban comrades, we can start a new dynasty. The Mongol army is clearly overrated. I know I am one of the few who can stop the Mongol savages. I will not rest until this is done.

Q: How was your childhood?

A: I was raised a peasant, and when I was young several of my brothers and sisters were sold away. I experienced famine and fighting as well as death and natural disasters. When I was sixteen my entire family was killed by a flood from the Yellow River. Then the reckless Mongols, the conquerors of our once great nation, laid waste to the monastery where I took refuge and was taught to read and write.

Q: Do you want to become emperor, and if so, what do you plan on doing?

A: Yes, I'm confident I will become emperor.  I plan to put an end to Mongol rule and win our country back. I expect to succeed where the Mongols have miserably failed. I intend to help the peasants prosper, to give them the chance I never had. I want the Mongols out of China for good, and if I become emperor, I intend to do that.

Q: Are you ready to take on the Mongols?

A: My army is not ready yet.  We will need a few more years to fully build our strength. We will attack while we have the upper hand. Their military is weakening, while ours is confident and growing stronger. The empire will be ours, some way or somehow.

Q: Will you live to see the day when the Yuan dynasty ends?

A: I will tell you this, the Mongol’s reign will end in my lifetime. I intend on ruling the country and as long as I have a reason to live, I will succeed.  No one will steal my rightful place on that throne. I am not failing in health nor am I failing in pride, but the emperor is. My victory is inevitable.                       

No comments:

Post a Comment